Thursday, February 10, 2011

Skirt or Hanger Steak Marinated in Soy, Ginger, and Lime with Red Onion Toasts

Recipe: Skirt or Hanger Steak Marinated in Soy, Ginger, and Lime with Red Onion Toasts
Page: 174
Date Cooked: February 7, 2011

I'm not a huge fan of skirt steak. I don't really know what to do with it other than make fajitas. But Jonathan Waxman's "Skirt Steak Marinated in Soy, Ginger, and Lime with Red Onion Toasts" was quick and tasty.

Skirt steak, ginger, lime, soy sauce, garlic, red wine, shallots, butter, salt, pepper, red onion, and sourdough bread

The ginger, lime juice, soy sauce, and garlic cloves were the marinade ingredients. The mixture was poured over the steaks, covered, and marinated in the fridge for 2 hours. After the two hours, the steak was removed from the marinade and the marinade was reserved.

Left: The marinade
Right: Marinade over steak

The red wine was brought to a boil, chopped shallots were added. The red wine was reduced till there was only about 1/4 cup left. Butter, salt, and pepper were stirred in and the reduction was set aside.

Red wine reduction

Meanwhile, the sliced onion rounds mixed with the reserved marinade were placed to broil until tender and dark brown. The steak was placed on the a pan and placed under the broil just until medium-rare. The bread was toasted under the broiler as well.

Onions with reserved marinade

Finally, the reduction was heated up and half a garlic clove was used to rub the slices of toast. And then it was ready to eat.

Skirt Steak Marinated in Soy, Ginger, and Lime with Red Onion Toasts

The flavors of this dish went quite well together. The onions with the marinade was quite surprising. The onion soaked the flavors of the marinade real nicely and made for a nice addition. Also the use of sourdough bread was the perfect choice. The steak was perfectly cooked as well. The marinade was flavorful and the red wine reduction added a whole new dimension. All in all, the meal was good but not mouth watering amazing. But a good choice for a quick meal. Furthermore, if the marinating portion wasn't included - the time involved was minimal.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I have been cooking with Food and Wine's the best of 2010 (I have been inspired by your journey) and one of the recipes called for crispy shallots. I have never cooked with them before so I was interested. I usually shed a tear or two when chopping a fresh onion... but when I chopped those shallots I cried so hard and started sneezing! I was a mess lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I was going to respond to this telling you how that never happens to me and though I cry with certain kinds of onions, I hadn't with shallots. However, when I recently made the braised lamb, I too was tearing up when chopping shallots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please send me this recipe. I'm going to the grocery store today =)

    ReplyDelete