Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sea Scallop Brochettes with Almond-Chile Sauce

Recipe: Sea Scallop Brochettes with Almond-Chile Sauce
Page: 227
Date Cooked: March 30, 2013

I cannot believe I get to say this..... THIS IS MY LAST RECIPE for this project. I plan on posting an overall experience post, that way I don't take away from this recipe itself. You may recall that I've mentioned snow still on the ground in the last few posts. Accordingly when it warmed up just a bit, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to do this final recipe.

Ingredients: Sea scallops, olive oil, limes, radishes, tomatoes, garlic, raw almonds, jalapeno chile, peanut oil, Kosher salt, pepper, Belgian endive, and cilantro

I tossed the scallops in olive oil, covered, and refrigerated. I also juiced a lime, cut the other lime into wedges, halved the radishes, diced the tomatoes, and minced the garlic.

Left: Scallops toasted in olive oil
Right: Juiced and wedged limes

I spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toasted until they turned golden. I set them aside to cool. I also blackened, blistered, steamed, peeled, and minced the jalapeno.

Toasting almonds

Then it was on to making the almond-chile sauce. I combined the peanut oil, olive oil, garlic, and almonds in a food processor and pulsed to a puree. I then added half the lime juice and the chile, puree-ed until smooth. I added half the diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper and puree-ed again.

Making the almond-chile sauce

I moved on to preparing the brochettes. I used two skewers, side-by-side, and alternatively threaded a radish and scallop on each skewer. I drizzled olive oil, salt, and pepper on all the brochettes. Note: Skewering the radishes was not an easy task and I was weary of injuring myself.

Sea scallop brochettes

I cut the endive lengthwise and poached them in water. I submerged the poached endive in ice water, drained, and patted dry. I coated the endive with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I also combined the remaining diced tomatoes, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, and salt in a small bowl.

Left: Poaching endive
Right: Tomato mixture

I grilled the scallops brochettes until they were nicely charred on both sides. I also grilled the endive (the few leaves that didn't fall through the grid). Then it was on to plating. I arranged the endive on a platter and put the skewers on top. I scattered the tomato and remaining cilantro over the brochettes, decorated with the lime wedges, and served it alongside the almond-chile sauce.

Sea Scallop Brochettes with Almond-Chile Sauce

This dish looked soo incredibly beautiful on the platter. And it tasted equally as good. This recipe had everything - texture, acid, and spice. The radishes paired nicely with the scallops; a flavor combination I would not have thought of. I absolutely loved the almond-chile sauce. The almond balanced the cilantro and lime, and the chile provided some needed heat. Overall, a great recipe and I would definitely make it again.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete