Thursday, September 15, 2011

Succotash

Recipe: Succotash
Page: 249
Date Cooked: September 13, 2011

I have to say this upfront because it the first thing that comes to my find when I hear/read the word succotash. I immediately think of Daffy Duck from the Looney Tunes saying "suffering succotash." I'm not sure why succotash is oh so suffer-able, if you ask me...it was just super simple.

Ingredients: Corn, garlic, basil, salt, green beans, yellow wax beans, lima beans, sweet onions, tomatoes, olive oil, butter, and pepper

I think as you cook through an entire cookbook, you really get to know the chef behind the recipes. I've picked up on certain traits or techniques that I believe Jonathan Waxman stands behind. One of these happens to be vegetarian stock made from corncobs - which is done in this recipe and also in a previous recipe.

Accordingly, I husked the corn and cut the kernels off the cob. I placed the corncobs, garlic cloves, basil stems, water, and salt into a pot and allowed it to simmer for some time. Afterward, I strained the stock and brought the broth to a boil (trying saying the last part 3x real fast!).

Left: Making vegetable stock Right: Boiling strained broth

While the broth boiled, I topped and tailed the beans. Diced the onions and tomatoes. And also, smashed the garlic cloves. I also placed the beans into the broth, cooked till al dente, and removed them with a slotted spoon.

1. Diced onions 2. Diced tomatoes 3. Cooking beans in broth

I then pulled out the Dutch oven and heated some butter and olive oil over medium heat. I added corn, onions, garlic, and salt to the casserole and cooked for a few minutes. I then added the beans and cooked it for a bit longer. Finally, I added the tomatoes and basil and cooked just a bit longer.

Succotash in the Dutch oven - after added the tomatoes and basil

After all the vegetables had cooked to perfection (and JW makes a note in the recipe that "the only thing not to do is cook the vegetables until they fall apart), I was ready to plate. I spooned the succotash into a bowl and garnished it with a bit of basil.

Succotash

I've never made succotash before and quite honestly I didn't really know what it entailed. So I learned the following: it is a simple side dish that involves slow braising vegetables and traditionally includes corn and beans (oh and butter). In addition to taste, one thing I truly appreciate is the visual contrast a dish produces. JW's succotash hit the visual aspect right on the dot. It looked beautiful.

And it tasted good as well. I didn't have much of an "ah ha" moment in this recipe but I could see the value in the dish. However, if I made it again...I think I would add bacon. I missed that added dimension of fat and bacon really would have punched it up. All in all, it was an OK recipe. In closing, I suppose I have to say it... "Suffering Succotash!"

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment