Saturday, January 21, 2012

Spicy Swordfish

Recipe: Spicy Swordfish
Page: 217
Date Cooked: January 14, 2012

There is something really wonderful about a great piece of fish cooked in a simple manner and paired with a great sauce. This recipe calls for a sauce with a crème fraîche base - and in my book, I'm not sure how that can taste bad. Just for some fun background, crème fraîche is pretty much a fancier sour cream. But, it isn't as sour, has higher viscosity, and a higher fat content than sour cream.

Ingredients: Jalapeno chile, red bell pepper, swordfish steaks, olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, parsley, chives, rosemary (I used rosemary instead of thyme - my grocer was out), garlic, and crème fraîche

Step One: Blacken and blister the jalapeno and red bell pepper. At this point in the project, I'm pretty sure I could blacken and blister any kind of chile or pepper with my eyes closed (not sure how safe that is, but you get my point). Once the jalapeno and red bell pepper were significantly blackened and blistered, I put them in a bowl and covered it with plastic wrap for 15 minutes. I then peeled them by hand, stemmed and seeded them, chopped them, and placed them on a side.

1. Blackened and blistered red bell pepper
2. Blackened and blistered jalapeno chile
3. Steaming bell pepper and chile
4. Chopped pepper and chile - post peeling, stemming, and seeding

While the pepper and chile steamed, I rubbed the swordfish steaks with olive oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper. I also chopped the basil leaves.

Left: Swordfish steaks with olive oil, salt, and pepper
Right: Chopped Basil

On to the sauce... I placed the jalapeno, bell pepper, parsley, rosemary, chives, garlic, crème fraîche, and olive oil in a food processor and pureed. Upon tasting, I seasoned the mixture with a bit of salt and pepper.

 Crème fraîche based sauce

Finally, I heated the broiler and placed the swordfish on to a pan to broil for a few minutes on each side. 

Swordfish ready to be broiled

I put the sauce on the plate, topped it with the broiled swordfish and it was ready to serve....

Spicy Swordfish

Incredibly simple and easy with a big flavor payoff. The swordfish steak has a meaty texture which makes it quite filling. And how much easier can it get just sticking it under the broiler for 6 minutes max?! The piece of fish was great, but the texture and flavor you get from the sauce is pretty amazing. I didn't find the sauce to be all that spicy - but I also have a high spice tolerance. Nonetheless, the flavor was all there. Simple, easy, and tasty dish. It worked for me.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment