Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sautéed Monkfish with Spaghetti Squash

Recipe: Sautéed Monkfish with Spaghetti Squash
Page: 205
Date Cooked: January 30, 2012

I walked up to my grocer's seafood counter and indicated that I wanted some monkfish and my fishmonger replied with, "Monkfish, the poor man's lobster." I guess I would have been more intrigued by this statement had it not been the exact opening line of this recipe in JW's A Great American Cook. Never having cooked monkfish or spaghetti squash before, I was excited to see how this recipe would turn out.

Ingredients: Monkfish fillets, salt, pepper, olive oil, spaghetti squash, unsalted butter, lemon, dry white wine, and sage leaves

I sliced the monkfish fillet into equal portions and flattened each portion slightly with the back of my knife. The fillets were then salted and peppered. I put olive oil on a plate and placed the fish on the plate coating each side with the oil. I covered the plate and put it in the fridge.

1. Monkfish fillet in portions 2. Adding salt and pepper 3. Coating fillets with olive oil

Moving on to the spaghetti squash. I cut the squash in half and removed any seeds. I dotted the halves with butter and added salt and pepper. I roasted the squash until it was tender. I then used a large fork to flick out the stands of the roasted squash. And I finally realized why it was called spaghetti squash - the strands really do look like spaghetti, it was kind of fun.

Strands of spaghetti squash

I melted butter in a large skillet until the butter turned a hazelnut color. I added the fish and cooked it for a few minutes on each side and then placed the fish on a baking sheet.

Cooking monkfish

I added white wine to the skillet and reduced the liquid by about half. I then lowered the heat and added the squash, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sage leaves. I cooked the squash for a few minutes and added some salt and pepper as needed.

Cooking the spaghetti squash in a white wine reduction with lemon zest, lemon juice, and sage leaves

When the squash was close to being done, I reheated the monkfish under the broiler for just a few minutes. I formed a nest of squash on a plate and put the monkfish right on top....

Sautéed Monkfish with Spaghetti Squash

There are 9 "Fish" recipes in A Great American Cook. I have now made 4 of the 9 recipes....this is the best fish recipe I have had thus far. It was amazing. I could not get over how freaking delicious the spaghetti squash was. Perfect amount of acidity. Perfect seasoning. Honestly, I have no words for how amazingly good it was. The meaty texture of the monkfish was the right accompaniment. It was so ridiculously simple but the flavor combination was intensely complex. I have to give this recipe rave reviews and there is not a single doubt in my mind that I will make this again. Heck, I wish I had some right now...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment