Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Spicy Clams

Recipe: Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Spicy Clams
Page: 133
Date Cooked: February 6, 2012

There is something about a bowl of pasta that just screams comfort to me. Then, with a bit of seafood mixed in, I am definitely on board. JW speaks wonders about Manila clams in the intro to this recipe. He goes on and on about how sweet and wonderful they are. Unfortunately, these clams are from the Pacific and aren't really available in Central PA. Luckily, in the recipe itself he gives the option of using cherrystone clams. The strange part is the two clam varietals couldn't be more different. Manila clams are small and cherrystone clams are among some of the larger clams. Nonetheless, I hoped it wouldn't take away from the dish.

Ingredients: Cherrystone clams, red tomatoes, yellow tomato, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, garlic, dry white wine, red pepper flakes, dried whole wheat spaghetti, brine-cured black olives, unsalted butter, tarragon leaves, salt, and pepper

While I put some salt water on boil, I starting prepping the other ingredients. I scrubbed and cleaned the clams and put them into the fridge. I coarsely chopped the tomatoes, minced the peppers, and peeled some garlic cloves.

1.Cleaned cherrystone clams 2. Minced bell peppers 3. Chopped tomatoes 4. Peeled garlic cloves

I cooked the spaghetti in the boiling water. I also combined the wine and red pepper flakes in a saucepan and set it to simmer.

Simmering white wine with red pepper flakes

In a Dutch oven, I combined the clams, garlic, and white wine mixture and brought it all to a boil. I cooked it until the clams opened.

Cooking clams

Once the clams opened, I added the butter, tomatoes, peppers, olives, and tarragon to the pan. I brought all the ingredients to a boil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Side note: I ended up taking the clam meat out of the shells, just because the clams were so large.

Clams with tomatoes, peppers, olives, and tarragon

Finally, I drained the pasta and tossed it well with the clam sauce....

Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Spicy Clams

This recipe was a winner. Beautiful colors in the dish - the red and yellow of the peppers and tomatoes, the olives, and the green tarragon. The clam sauce was super flavorful. It was hearty but not heavy. I really enjoyed the dish. Perhaps if I get a chance to get those Manila clams, I will give this recipe another shot. I'm sure I wouldn't mind eating it again.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment