Thursday, September 27, 2012

Salmon with Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce

Recipe: Salmon with Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce
Page: 202
Date Cooked: September 20, 2012

The sauce in this recipe is a take on the mother of all sauces, the classic sauce vin blanc, white wine sauce. It's based on a broth of fish bones, white wine, and other aromatics. It is later enriched with cream or butter. Upon some further research, it appears that the sauce vin blanc is commonly served alongside salmon, as seen in this recipe.

Ingredients: Garlic, unsalted butter, Kosher salt, pepper, white onion, fish bones, parsley, bay leaves, dry white wine, heavy cream, green beans, turnip, radishes, radicchio, red bell pepper, salmon fillets, peas, and olive oil

I began by making the sauce. I cut the top of the garlic head, placed it on a sheet of foil, topped it with butter, and seasoned with salt and pepper. I wrapped the foil and baked the garlic until it was soft.

Garlic head before baking

In the meantime, I thinly sliced the onion and rinsed the fish bones in water. I put the onion in a pan with butter and cooked for a few minutes. I then added the fish bones, parsley, and bay leaves; cooking for a little more. I poured in the wine, added black pepper, and let the broth simmer.

Fish bones and white wine broth

I strained the stock into another pan and reduced it down to approximately 1/2 cup of liquid. I squeezed the soft garlic out of the skin and added it to the reduced fish stock. I then stirred in the heavy cream.

Sauce vin blanc

I then proceeded to prep the vegetables. I topped and tailed the green beans; peeled and diced the turnips; trimmed and halved the radishes; cut the radicchio into a julienne; and stemmed, seeded, and cut the red pepper into strips.


Prepping the vegetables

I sprinkled the salmon with salt and pepper. I brushed a baking pan with melted butter, rubbed the salmon with remaining melted butter, and baked the salmon.

Salmon before being baked

While the salmon baked, I blanched all the vegetables in a saucepan of boiling salt water. I drained the vegetables, placed them in a skillet, and set it on the side.

Blanching veggies

When the salmon was done, I set it aside in a warm spot. I reheated the sauce and put the finishing touches on the vegetables. I added olive oil to the vegetables, heated them through, added the radicchio, and seasoned with salt and pepper.

Finishing touches on the vegetables

I placed the salmon on a plate, surrounded it with vegetables, and poured the sauce on top of the salmon. I heated the plate in the oven for an additional two minutes and then served.

Salmon with Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce

This dish was restaurant quality good. Vegetables cooked to perfection - crisp, tender, and the right amount of seasoning. The salmon was amazing. I don't know if I had ever cooked a better piece of salmon before this. The sauce was really flavorful as well, and added just the right amount of fat to the dish. I would make this again. It was beautiful on the plate and tasted great.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment