Monday, September 3, 2012

Smoked Salmon, Caviar, and Cream Cheese Sandwich

Recipe: Smoked Salmon, Caviar, and Cream Cheese Sandwich
Page: 98
Date Cooked: August 26, 2012

If you had to name a "fancy" sandwich, well then this would be it. Smoked salmon, caviar, cream cheese, and, crème fraîche...oh my! This is not a sandwich for the faint at heart nor anyone attempting to be on a diet.

The moment I saw that this recipe called for caviar, I knew my grad student budget would take a bit of a hit. But all is fair in love and delicious-ness, right? Jonathan Waxman suggests using American hacleback or paddlefish caviar. I opted for bowfin caviar. Bowfin is an American caviar and resembles sturgeon caviar. Also, at $10 per ounce, it was the more affordable option. I just hoped it was a suitable substitute for the recipe.

Ingredients: White sandwich bread, cream cheese, unsalted butter, crème fraîche, chives, bowfin caviar, and smoked salmon

I trimmed the crusts off the bread and then toasted the bread slices lightly.

Toasting bread

While the bread cooled, I moved on to the cream cheese mixture. I mixed together the cream cheese, butter, crème fraîche, and chives.

Cream cheese mixture

And that is all the hard the part. The rest was just putting the sandwich together. I spread the cream cheese mixture on one slice of toast and topped it with caviar. I then put the smoked salmon on the other slice of toast. Finally, I put the halves together and it was ready for consumption.

Smoked Salmon, Caviar, and Cream Cheese Sandwich

This sandwich was delicious! Beyond fancy of course, but it was simply pure yummy-ness. What I find almost amusing is that the recipe calls for not just cream cheese or crème fraîche...oh wait you need to add butter in it as well! But all that fat is cut by the smoked salmon and the salty, briny taste of the caviar. And the choice to go with the bowfin caviar worked perfectly, so I was happy about that. I'm not sure what more I can say about this sandwich. It was super fast to put together and tasted amazing. Do I want to make it again? YES! However, I'm not sure my arteries or my bank account would benefit!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post.Buy Fresh American caviar online at excellent prices at House of Caviar and Fine Foods.

    ReplyDelete