Saturday, December 8, 2012

Lobster Thermidor

Recipe: Lobster Thermidor
Page: 234
Date Cooked: December 2, 2012

This is the last lobster based recipe in this project. And it also happens to be a pretty decadent recipe. Lobster thermidor was created in a restaurant in Paris, which was close to a theater. The recipe was created to honor the opening of a play titled Thermidor by Victorien Sardou. Jonathan Waxman's version of lobster thermidor is intended to be a lighter version of the traditional dish.

Ingredients: Lobsters (not pictured), shallots, garlic, cherry tomatoes, white wine, heavy cream, unsalted butter, Dijon mustard, cognac, chives, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese

I brought a large pot of salted water to a boil and cooked the lobsters for a few minutes. I then removed the meat from the lobsters and diced the meat.

Diced lobster meat

I diced the shallots, minced the garlic, and halved the tomatoes.

1. Diced shallots 2. Minced garlic 3. Halved tomatoes

In a saucepan, I combined the shallots, garlic, and wine and cooked until the liquid became syrup-like. I added the cream and let the mixture reduce further. I added the lobster and let it heat through. Finally, I added the butter, tomatoes, mustard, cognac, and chives. I also seasoned the mixture with salt and pepper.

Putting together the lobster thermidor mixture

I divided the mixture into heatproof bowls and grated fresh Parmesan cheese on top of them.

Lobster thermidor pre-broiling

I put the bowls under the broiler. The lobster thermidor cooked until it was golden brown and bubbly. And they were ready to be served...

Lobster Thermidor

Ummmm...this was amazingly good! Hands down the best lobster recipe in this book! I think it's even a contender for best recipe in A Great American Cook as a whole. This dish is known to be traditional and quite extravagant. Yet, I was surprised as to how easy it was to put together. When transferring the mixture to the dishes, I noticed it was quite liquidy and wasn't sure if it would thicken up. So as an experiment, I whisked an egg yolk into one of the bowls. The bowl with the egg yolk had more custard-like texture and was definitely richer. But I have to agree with Jonathan Waxman's intro, it was nice to have a "lighter" version of this recipe. And who are we really kidding? This recipe isn't light!

Overall, amazing-ness! The recipe was delicious and I hope to make it again!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment