Monday, December 3, 2012

Roasted Corn with Red Pepper Butter

Recipe: Roasted Corn with Red Pepper Butter
Page: 250
Date Cooked: November 18, 2012

The main portion of this recipe is the red pepper butter. Other than preparing that, all you have to do is roast some corn. Jonathan Waxman instructs roasting the corn with the husks. Unfortunately, due to the end of the season, I couldn't find corn still the husks. Instead I had some fresh corn on the cob. To emulate the corn in the husk technique, I roasted one ear of corn on its own and one ear of corn wrapped in foil. I figured roasted corn in the husk would be somewhere in the middle of those two points.

Ingredients: Corn, jalapeno chile, red bell pepper, butter, garlic, and sea salt

I prepared a fire in my grill and grilled the jalapeno and red pepper until blackened and blistered. I placed the peppers in the bowl, covered it with plastic wrap, and let it steam. I then peeled the peppers with my fingers, stemmed, and seeded them.

Left: Roasted the peppers
Right: Steaming the peppers

I combined the peppers with the butter, garlic, and sea salt in a food processor. I pureed the mixture until the butter was homogeneous. In the meantime, I grilled the corn.

Making red pepper butter

I removed the corn from the grill, slathered it with the red pepper and butter, and served.

Roasted Corn with Red Pepper Butter

Upon further research (i.e. Google images), I discovered that the final roasted corn in the husk product was closer to my foil-wrapped corn, which is the focused image in the final picture. The corn with the red pepper butter was quite delicious. What really worked in this recipe was the juxtaposition of the sweetness of the corn with the heat of the red pepper butter. But the best part was that there was leftover red pepper butter for future use!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment