Monday, January 21, 2013

Grilled Swordfish with Blood Orange Sauce

Recipe: Grilled Swordfish with Blood Orange Sauce
Page:
Date Cooked: January 6, 2013

This is the last of the fish recipes in A Great American Cook and for this project. I had to wait to do this recipe till blood oranges came into season. So once I saw them in the grocery store, I knew exactly what to do with them. Of course grilling outside in the cold wasn't completely ideal, but hey all in the name of good food.

Ingredients: Blood oranges, poblano chile, jicama, red onion, olive oil, salt, pepper, cilantro, swordfish steaks, and unsalted butter

I zested one of the oranges and juiced it. I sliced the tops and bottoms off the rest of the oranges, sliced off the remaining peel, and cut whole segments of the fruit.

Blood orange zest, segments, and juice

I roasted the pepper till blackened and blistered, steamed it in a bowl, peeled, and diced it. I peeled the jicama and diced it. I also sliced the onion.

Left: Diced jicama
Right: Sliced red onion

I combined some of the blood orange juice, olive oil, chile, jicama, and onion together. I seasoned it with salt and pepper. I also added in the blood orange sections along with half the cilantro.

Jicama and red onion salad

I rubbed the swordfish steaks with olive oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper. I grilled the swordfish steaks, turning once, and until they were cooked through.

Grilling swordfish

I combined the rest of the blood orange juice, zest, and remaining cilantro in a saucepan. I whisked in the butter and added the leftover orange sections.

Blood orange sauce

I was now ready to plate. I put the jicama salad on the plate, topped it with a swordfish steak, and drizzled it with the blood orange sauce.

Grilled Swordfish with Blood Orange Sauce

I loved the way this looked on the plate, all the colors, it was beautiful. The orange sauce incredibly flavor and the swordfish was cooked perfectly. I loved the texture of the salad. The crunch and freshness of the jicama was just great and kind of made me want to eat more jicama. Personally I love raw red onion, but I could see how for other people this could be a bit overpowering. Overall, it was easy to prepare, had complex flavors, and was delicious.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment