Thursday, January 31, 2013

Squab and Corn Crepes

Recipe: Squab and Corn Crepes
Page: 157
Date Cooked: January 3, 2013

This poultry recipe had a number of components. There was the stock, the crepes, and then the squab itself. It initially looked tedious but actually turned out to be pretty manageable. Unfortunately, I couldn't find squab  and decided to substitute with Cornish game hens. Not quite as flavorful as squab, but I think it did the trick. I also used frozen corn in place of fresh.

Ingredients: Cornish game hen, red onion, garlic, white wine, bouquet garni, poblano chile, russet potato, corn, unsalted butter, salt, pepper, milk, eggs, all-purpose flour, olive oil, chives, and lime

I began by butterflying each of the game hens - removing the backbones and pressing the bird down firmly with my hands. I also sliced the onion. I put the backbones, sliced onion, and unpeeled garlic cloves in the oven to roast.

Roasting the backbones, onion, and garlic

Once roasted, I deglazed the pan with some wine and transferred everything into a saucepan. I covered the bones with water, added the bouquet garni, and let the stock simmer for almost 2 hours. I then strained the stock and set it aside.

Making the stock

Next, I proceeded to make the crepe batter. I minced the chile and diced the potatoes. I put the potatoes in saucepan with water and cooked until the potato was al dente.

Left: Minced chile
Right: Cooking the diced potato

I also sauteed half the corn with some butter in a skillet.

Sauteeing corn

I combined milk, corn, eggs, and flour in a bowl. I stirred in the the diced chile and potato. I also added a few tablespoons of melted butter to the crepe batter. I seasoned the batter with salt and pepper and set it aside.

Corn crepe batter

To cook the crepes, I melted butter in a skillet, added the batter, and cooked them till golden brown on each side. Jonathan Waxman makes a note here regarding the difficulty of flipping these crepes due to the chunky texture (i.e. the potatoes). This is definitely true, so the crepes were a bit tricky.

Cooking the crepes

With all the crepes done, I moved on to the game hens. I salt and peppered both sides and heated olive oil in a skillet. I cooked the hens skin side down at first and then flipped them. This step didn't require cooking the hens completely through, since they would be finished in the broiler. The hens were finished under the broiler till 165 degrees.

Finished Cornish game hens

While the hens cooked under the broiler. I added the remaining corn into the skillet along with some of the stock. I also stirred in some chopped chives into the sauce.

Corn sauce

I was then ready to plate. I placed the crepes down on the plate and put a game hen on top. I then spooned the sauce over the hen and served it all with wedges of lime.

Squab (Cornish Game Hen) and Corn Crepes

This dish looked so fantastic on the plate. The game hens were cooked perfectly and I really enjoyed the sauce that accompanied the dish. But I loved the crepes. It helped balance the dish and I really enjoyed the kick of the chiles with every bite. It was smart to serve this with lime wedges as well, they provided the acid the dish really needed. The recipe itself had a Southwest flair that just truly worked. It was great.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment