Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lobster Salad Sandwich

Recipe: Lobster Salad Sandwich
Page: 106
Date Cooked: November 9, 2012

If you are reading this blog and are thinking, "Wow, she has gone lobster crazy!" I would have to agree. Apparently, because of last year's warm winter there are just too many lobsters on the East Coast. So at this time, grocery stores are having some intense lobster sales. Which means checking off those last few lobster recipes. You may happen to see some photos that look a bit familiar; and that is because I made the Lobster and Potato Chip Salad recipe at the same time as this one. This also happens to be the last of the 13 sandwich recipes.

Ingredients: Lobster (not shown), corn, olive oil, Kosher salt, pepper, red bell pepper, basil, white wine, tomato, and baguette

I brought a pot of salted water to a boil, added the lobster, and cooked. I removed the lobster from the pot and began cracking the shells to get the lobster meat. I diced the lobster meat and put it in the fridge.

Left: Cooking lobster
Right: Diced lobster meat

I cut the corn kernels off the cob. I cooked the corn for a few minutes with some olive oil, salt and pepper.

Cooking the corn

I roasted the red bell pepper till blackened and blistered. I steamed, peeled, stemmed, seeded, and diced the red pepper.

Prepping the red bell pepper

I blended basil, olive oil, and the white wine together to create a basil dressing. I also diced the tomato.

Right: Basil oil
Left: Diced tomato

I combined the corn, tomato, lobster, and basil oil in a bowl.

Lobster salad sandwich filling

Then it was on to assembling the sandwich. I split the baguette in half and lightly toasted it under the broiler. I topped the baguette halves with the lobster salad and served the sandwich open faced.

Lobster Salad Sandwich

Jonathan Waxman compares this to a lobster roll and I'm not sure that is a fair comparison. A great lobster is something on it own. Having said that, this sandwich was really good. It was light, fresh, and packed full of flavor. I really liked the basil-oil-white wine dressing, it worked. The sandwich works with a tried and true flavor combo - basil, tomatoes, and corn. All in all a great sandwich.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment