Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Soft-Shell Crab and Aioli Sandwich

Recipe: Soft-Shell Crab and Aioli Sandwich
Page: 102
Date Cooked: July 29, 2011

Jonathan Waxman opens up this recipe recollecting his first crab po' boy - french roll, spicy mayo, and deep-fried crab. This recipe was his spin on that sandwich but with a few modifications - roll, aioli, and roasted soft-shell crab. Considering the last JW soft-shell crab recipe I made was such a success, I was excited to see what he had in store for this one.

Ingredients: Soft-shell crabs, orange, garlic, olive oil, white wine, paprika, egg yolks, salt, and rolls

The first step was to create the marinade for the crabs. I combined the orange juice, olive oil, white wine, minced garlic, and paprika into a bowl. I then tossed the crabs in the marinade and placed them in the fridge.

Soft-shell crabs in the marinade

While the crabs marinated, I decided to attack the aioli. I pureed the egg yolks and garlic, added the salt, and then dribbled in the olive oil until the sauce began to emulsify. I have been struggling through a number of recipes to perfect my mayonnaise and aioli making skills. And though this aioli definitely was not perfect, I can see that it is getting there.

Aioli

With the oven pre-heated, I placed the crabs on a baking sheet and they roasted until golden brown and cooked through.

Roasting soft-shell crabs and turning once

Once the crabs were roasted, I cut them into pieces, tossed them in the aioli, and placed them on the buns.

Soft-shell crab and aioli sandwich

So I have to say I was a tad bit disappointed with the sandwich. The soft-shell crab itself was amazing and tasted delicious roasted. But the sandwich fell flat. It needed another flavor dimension or texture. I think the recipe was on the right track but it just didn't do it for me.

Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just doesn't really seem like a sandwich to me, just crab on some bread. I can see how this recipe wasn't as good as his other one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100 percent agree. I mean the bread was good and the crab was good. But there was no additional flavor (other than the aioli). Oh well.

    ReplyDelete