Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Grilled (or Broiled) Chicken

Recipe: Grilled (or Broiled) Chicken
Page: 144
Date Cooked: November 12, 2011

This is now my third chicken recipe from this cookbook. Considering, the last two recipes (Perfect Roast Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Spinach and Brick Chicken with Rosé Wine, Peas, and Bacon) turned out really well, I was excited about this one.

Ingredients: Organic chicken, salt, pepper, olive oil, unsalted butter, and parsley

I soaked the chicken in a large bowl of warm water for a few minutes. Apparently you do this to relax the skin of the chicken and according to JW "free-range chickens have tougher, more resilient skin than supermarket chickens." After this step, I patted the chicken dry and proceeded to butterfly the chicken. I have butterflied a chicken once before during this project; so this time, I felt like I really had a handle on the process.

Left: Soaking chicken in warm water
Right: Butterflied chicken

Since, I don't have a grill I proceeded with the broil option. Accordingly, I heated the broiler and rubbed the chicken with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I placed the chicken skin side up in a roasting pan and broiled it till the skin was golden brown. Then, I flipped the chicken over and cooked it for a bit. After this short time, I flipped the chicken over again and cooked until the thickest part of the chicken read 165 degrees on the thermometer.

Process of broiling chicken

With the chicken done and out of the way, I melted butter in a small saucepan and added in the chopped parsley along with some salt and pepper.

Parsley-butter mixture

Finally, I quartered the chicken, placed it on a platter, and drizzled the parsley-butter over the chicken. And then it was time to eat.

Grilled (or Broiled) Chicken

Easiest chicken recipe ever. Also, Jonathan Waxman's cooking times for this recipe were right on the money! Moreover, it tasted delicious. I really don't know if I have much to say other than it was simple, satisfying, and tasty.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment