Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Perfect Roast Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Spinach

Recipe: Perfect Roast Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Spinach
Page: 148
Date Cooked: September 30, 2011

"Roast chicken is the cornerstone of the basic recipes, but it holds its own against any complicated, expensive dish. It's a universal standard." - Jonathan Waxman. That quote really says it all. The recipe is basic, yet holds its own. I had never roasted a whole chicken prior to this recipe. I've been somewhat intimidated by the idea of buying a whole bird (other than during Thanksgiving) and roasting it for myself. However, I was quite happy with the results.

Free-range/corn-fed/naturally raised chicken, salt, pepper, olive oil, yellow Finn potatoes, garlic, butter, and spinach

Well the recipe is called "Perfect Roast Chicken," so I started with the chicken. I removed the gizzards and any extra fat, rinsed the chicken, patted it dry, and then salted, peppered, and rubbed the chicken (inside and out) with olive oil. I placed the bird into a pan and put it in a hot oven to roast. Making sure to baste it ever 5 minutes.

The basting part was a bit tedious, and the oven was really hot! I didn't realize it till now but the intro to the recipe warns of this. JW advises you to wear long oven mitts and to use a large soup spoon rather than a plastic baster. I didn't have a plastic baster and did indeed use a large soup spoon and it worked just fine.

Left: Chicken salted, peppered, and rubbed down with olive oil Right: Roasted chicken

While the chicken roasted I worked on the side dishes - the potatoes and the spinach. First, I scrubbed the potatoes and cut them into pieces. I put the potatoes along with water, garlic cloves, and salt into a large saucepan. The contents were brought to a boil and then remained on simmer until the potatoes were tender. Second, I drained the water from the saucepan but reserved the starchy potato cooking water. Third, I returned the potatoes and garlic to the pan and added butter, olive oil, and some of the potato water. Finally, I mashed the potatoes and salt and peppered to taste.

1. Potatoes, garlic, and salt 2. Potatoes and garlic with reserved potato cooking water 3. Mashed potatoes

After its stint in the oven, I removed the chicken and allowed it to rest for a few minutes. It was during these last few minutes that I focused on the spinach. I melted butter in a pan, added garlic cloves, and cooked until brown. I discarded the garlic, added the spinach, and cooked until wilted (really just a few minutes).

Left: Browning the garlic Right: Cooking the spinach

The only thing left to do was to carve the chicken and plate....

Perfect Roast Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Spinach

I say this from time to time and find it necessary to say it once again. I didn't grow up with the all-around typical American meal, a good reason for why I chose this particular cookbook. Having said that, this felt like an "American" meal. Perhaps it was the simplicity of the ingredients or the typical sides - mashed potatoes and spinach.

I made this on a really cold and rainy night here in Central PA and it worked perfectly for that occasion. I was really happy with the meal. Nothing was out there or really all that new and different. It was comforting. Yet, I was super excited about the chicken. First off, no longer will a whole chicken scare me ever again! Secondly, it was cooked perfectly. I really appreciate the simplicity of cooking an item in just salt, pepper, and olive oil/butter. You get to taste the ingredient at hand. The chicken was the main event of the plate and it tasted like it too.

Overall, it was a great recipe. I can see myself making this again. It required little effort but had a pretty big payoff.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment