Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sesame-Crusted Goat Cheese Cakes on Greens

Recipe: Sesame-Crusted Goat Cheese Cakes on Greens
Page: 75
Date Cooked: October 12, 2011

When I first purchased this cookbook and began flipping through it. The picture associated with this recipe completely stood out to me. The contrast between with the black and white sesame seeds is really striking and I was excited to see how it would turn out for myself.

Ingredients: White sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, salt, pepper, unsalted butter, shallots, olive oil, sherry vinegar, sesame oil, olive oil, soft goat cheese, basil, and mesclun

The first item of business was to get items toasted and roasted. I placed the white and black sesame seeds on a baking sheet and toasted them in the oven for a few minutes. Afterward I sprinkled them with some salt and pepper. Furthermore, I placed unpeeled shallots, melted butter, olive oil, and salt onto some parchment paper - which was then folded into a double folded packet. The packet was put into the oven and shallots roasted until tender. Once the shallots roasted and cooled, I peeled them and left them whole.

Left: Toasted sesame seeds Right: Packet of shallots

Then it was on to the vinaigrette. I put some sherry vinegar into a bowl and whisked in the sesame oil, olive oil, and shallot oil (from the parchment packet). I also stirred in the shallots and seasoned with salt and pepper.

Vinaigrette

I brushed a baking sheet with olive oil and then began preparing the got cheese cakes. I placed the white sesame seeds in one bowl and the black sesame seeds in another. I cut the goat cheese into small rounds and rolled half of the round in the white sesame seeds and the other half in the black sesame seeds. I put the goat cheese cakes on the baking sheet and allowed them to warm in the oven for a few minutes.

Left: Goat cheese cake assembly Right: Two-toned goat cheese cake

I shred the basil and combined it with the mesclun. I then tossed the greens with the vinaigrette to coat it lightly. Finally, I laid the greens on a plate and placed the goat cheese cakes on top.

Sesame-Crusted Goat Cheese Cakes on Greens

Everything about this dish just worked. The textural contrast between the goat cheese and the sesame seeds was great. The sherry vinegar based vinaigrette played off nicely with the goat cheese. And the greens lent a sense of lightness to the heavy taste of goat cheese.

Rolling the cakes in the two colored sesame seeds was a little harder than I expected. You have to work quickly because the warmth of your fingers makes the goat cheese even softer. However, I felt that even if I had mixed the two colors together, the dish would remain visually pleasing.

I do want to make a note here that JW's vinaigrette recipes have been spot on! I could not get enough of that vinaigrette, it was sooo good. It makes eating greens and salads more interesting and somewhat new again. And I really appreciate that.

Overall, I think it was a beautiful salad. I know some people aren't the biggest fan of goat cheese but I think this recipe helps cut that richness and may change some minds.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment