Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tuna Carpaccio

Recipe: Tuna Carpaccio
Page: 34
Date Cooked: September 28, 2011

So I've made one other carpaccio (Beef Carpaccio with Warm Potato Salad) from Jonathan Waxman's cookbook and was very much pleased. However, in no way would I compare this carpaccio to the other. While JW makes the claim that tuna has an "intrinsic beefy texture and almost meaty flavor" (a statement I agree with), at the end of the day the two products are very different.

Ingredients: Tuna, lime, olive oil, egg yolks, rice wine vinegar, whole-grain mustard, salt, pepper, cucumber, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, green bell pepper, and chives

As with any carpaccio, you want the freshest and most color appropriate piece of meat (or in this case, fish). In order to make slicing the tuna a bit easier, I placed the package in the freezer. After its stint in the freezer, I sliced the tuna into equal pieces and placed a single piece on lightly oiled parchment paper, and pounded it lightly. I followed suit with the remained pieces. I then placed the tuna, still in the parchment paper, in the fridge while I continued prepping the rest of the ingredients.

Left: Sliced tuna Right: Carpaccio-ed tuna in oiled parchment paper

Then it was on to making the mayonnaise. I juiced the lime and whisked it together with the rice wine vinegar, mustard, and egg yolks. I then slowly added the olive oil, while continuing to blend, until the mayonnaise emulsified. I continued to add the olive oil until the mixture was light and fluffy. Finally, I seasoned the mayo with some salt and pepper. The best part of course was that my mayonnaise accomplishment from last time was not a fluke! Yes...I did it again!

Left: Egg yolk mixture and olive oil Right: Mayonnaise

With the mayonnaise out of the way, I began slicing and dicing. I peeled the cucumber and cut it into a fine julienne and also diced the red, green, and yellow bell peppers.

Left: Julienned cucumber Right: Diced green, red, and yellow bell peppers

Finally, I was ready to plate. I tossed the cucumber strips in some of the mayonnaise and put it in the plate. I then took the tuna out of the fridge and placed it on top of the cucumber, placing a bit of the mayo on top of each slice of tuna. Lastly, I sprinkled the assortment of bell peppers along with some chopped chives on top.

Tuna Carpaccio

I couldn't get over how visually stimulating this dish was on the plate. When you look at it you realize nothing is the same color and it really is quite beautiful. Heck, I think my picture here rivals the one in the book itself. The best part....it tasted just as good as it looked. It was exquisitely light yet very filling. The freshness of the tuna rang throughout every bite. But the crunch from the bell peppers gave a perfect textural contrast. And the lime in the mayonnaise provided the perfect amount of acidity. Furthermore, the plate looks quite intricate, but is actually very simple.

I loved this dish and enjoyed every bite. JW makes note of replacing the cucumber for jicama in the winter time, and it looks like I may have to try that.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment