Thursday, October 13, 2011

Potato Skins with Potato Salad

Recipe: Potato Skins with Potato Salad
Page: 26
Date Cooked: October 8, 2011

Given this project, I try to make a recipe whenever I can. So when I hosted a college football viewing party (GO GATORS!) I made sure to look through JW's A Great American Cook to find a good game day recipe and I think this was it. According to Waxman this is a take on "modern American food," so why not place it in the context of a modern American college football party.

Ingredients: Russet potatoes, corn oil, salt, pepper, scallions, garlic, sherry vinegar, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and red cabbage

The first item of business was to roast the potatoes. I pricked them all over with a fork and placed them in the oven until tender. After the potatoes roasted and I let them cool for a bit, I cut them in half and scooped out the pulp.

Left: Roasted potatoes Right: Potato skins with pulp

I then tossed the potato skins in some corn oil, salt, and pepper. I placed them on a baking sheet and put them back in the oven until golden brown. While the potato skins baked, I minced the scallions and garlic and stirred them into the bowl of potatoes along with the sherry vinegar and olive oil.

1. Minced scallions 2. Minced garlic 3. Potato salad

Furthermore, I whisked the red wine and some olive oil together in a bowl and tossed in the shredded cabbage and seasoned with salt and pepper. I placed the cabbage on a platter and then stuffed the potato salad into the warm skins and put it on the plate.

Potato Skins with Potato Salad

I think when many people (including myself) think of potato skins, you assume cheese and bacon. Or an overall sense of heaviness. These potato skins were the complete opposite of that very idea. It was a light side dish that worked well. The potato salad was tart - probably from the sherry vinegar - but it yummy. It was light and had a lot of flavor. On to the potato skin itself.... I personally love the skin of a potato and always eat it. I think they were totally fine, nothing out of the ordinary. But JW's cooking times were spot on! The surprise component of the dish was the red cabbage coleslaw on the bottom. I thought it was soo flavorful. I ended up eating the extra just on its own.

Overall it was an OK dish. I wasn't disappointed nor was I overly enthusiastic. But it was good and tasty.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment