Friday, April 13, 2012

Pears Poached in Beaujolais

Recipe: Pears Poached in Beaujolais
Page: 264
Date Cooked: April 6, 2012

Through this project, I've really begun to appreciate a good Beaujolais. Jonathan Waxman often uses it in braising meat and here it serves as the liquid for a simple dessert.

Ingredients: Bosc pears, Beaujolais, Cointreau, whole black peppercorns, and cinnamon sticks

The first step was to peel the pears and core them. I ended up core-ing them through the top and all the way down. But upon some research after the fact, I noticed one recipe halved the pears and used a melon baller to scoop out the seeds. I can easily see how either technique would do the trick.

Peeling and core-ing pears

I placed the pears, Beaujolais, Cointreau, peppercorns, and cinnamon into a saucepan and brought it all to simmer. The pears poached in the liquid until they got just about tender.

Pear in poaching liquid

I let the pear cool in the liquid and then transferred it to a bowl. I strained the poaching liquid and poured it onto the pear.

Pears Poached in Beaujolais

I'm not sure if a dessert could be simpler than this. It was a cold night and the warmth of the dessert is something I really enjoyed. But apparently, the dessert can be served at almost any temperature. The poaching liquid was full of flavor. I enjoyed the hint of spice from the cinnamon and peppercorns. They played nicely off the sweetness of the Beaujolais and Cointreau. I perhaps, would add a little more Cointreau the next time around. The orange flavor was really subtle and I personally wanted more of it. All in all, an elegantly simple dessert.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment