Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sautéed Shrimp with Leeks and Roasted Peanuts

Recipe: Sautéed Shrimp with Leeks and Roasted Peanuts
Page: 222
Date Cooked: April 25, 2012

Jonathan Waxman introduces this recipe as a "triumphant combination of tropical and European flavors." I think he somewhat exaggerates the flavor combination. It simply has the typical Asian flavors most people know - lemon, lime, peanuts, ginger, soy sauce. And heck, he even throws in basmati rice, hinting on the South Asian side.

Ingredients: Onion, olive oil, basmati rice, salt, pepper, leeks, shrimp (forgot to put them in the picture), white wine, serrano chile, lime, lemon, corn oil, roasted unsalted peanuts, ginger, and soy sauce

The first step was preparing the rice. I minced the onion and cooked it with the basmati rice in some olive oil. I added salt and pepper to taste. Once the onions were softened and rice was toasted, I added water, brought it to a boil, lowered the heat, covered, and cooked the rice. I spread the cooked rice onto a baking sheet and let it cool.

(1) Cooking onions and rice (2) Cooking rice (3) Allowing rice to cool

I washed and trimmed the leeks. I julienned the green portion and sliced the white portion into rounds.

(1) Leeks rounds (2) Leek tops, julienned

I removed the shells from the shrimp and put the shells, leek whites, wine, and water into a saucepan. The stock mixture simmered for approximately half an hour. I strained the mixture and set the stock aside.

Making shrimp stock

I minced the chile. I juiced the lime and lemon. I also, formed the rice into cakes. I heated the corn oil in a large pot and deep-fried the julienned leek greens until they were golden. I let them drain on paper towels and seasoned them with salt.

Fried leek greens

I then tried to deep-fry the rice cakes. I just could not do it. The rice wouldn't stay together and the few cakes I attempted to deep fry just fell apart in the pot. You can see exactly that in the pictures below. After the first few failed attempts, I decided to give up. I did however drain the rice on paper towels.

My attempt at getting fried rice cakes

On to the shrimp. I heated olive oil in a skillet and added the shrimp. I then added the peanuts, ginger, and chiles, allowing them to cook briefly. I added the shrimp stock, citrus juices, soy sauce and let the mixture simmer for a few minutes.

(1) Shrimp (2) Shrimp with peanuts, ginger, and chiles (3) Shrimp with peanuts, ginger, chiles, shrimp stock, citrus juices, and soy sauce

Finally, it was time to plate. I put the rice on to a plate, topped it with the shrimp, and garnished with the fried leek greens.

Sautéed Shrimp with Leeks and Roasted Peanuts

Despite the fact that I couldn't get a decent rice cake, the dish itself was really great. The shrimp flavors were spot on. The peanuts added the perfect crunch to the dish. I really enjoyed the hints of spice from the chiles and ginger. The shrimp was also amazingly sweet, which likely speaks to the freshness of the product itself. But I do think adding that shrimp stock really brought it home, giving the whole dish that bold shrimp taste. The fried leek greens were a much more important component of the dish than I anticipated. That was where the salt element lay and I really liked it.

Looking back, I don't think I it was necessary to have fried rice cakes in this dish. The rice had flavor on its own. But the shrimp was the star. It had everything - texture, acid, salt, and all perfectly balanced. I would definitely make the shrimp again.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment