Sunday, May 6, 2012

Grand Red Snapper Stew

Recipe: Grand Red Snapper Stew
Page: 210
Date Cooked: April 28, 2012

Living in Central Pennsylvania means there is a high premium for fresh (or as close to fresh as possible) seafood  and availability is sometimes in question. Furthermore, I shouldn't be surprised that it was hard to see red snapper at my grocer since they are said to be over fished. However, I did read an article saying that the fish was returning "from the brink." Regardless, if you can't find red snapper or prefer using another fish, JW does mention halibut, cod, grouper, or monkfish as suitable substitutes.

Ingredients: Fennel, red onion, garlic, celery, leek, olive oil, parsley, dry white wine, bay leaves, saffron, salt, pepper, red snapper fillets, unsalted butter, tomato, and sourdough bread

I began by prepping the components of the stew. I trimmed the fennel, keeping some of the fennel fronds. I thinly sliced the fennel bulbs. I cut the onion into thin strips. I thinly sliced the garlic. I cut the celery into pieces. I cut the carrot into coins. Finally, I sliced the leeks.

(1) Sliced fennel (2) Sliced red onion (3) Carrot coins

(1) Sliced celery (2) Sliced garlic (3) Sliced leeks

I heated olive oil in a Dutch oven and added the fennel, onions, garlic, celery, carrot, and leek. I sauteed the veggies for a minutes. I then added the parsley along with some wine, water, bay leaves, and saffron. I brought the stew to a simmer and let it cook. Finally, I turned off the heat and removed the bay leaves.

Making the stew

In the meantime, I prepared the garlic toasts. I placed the bread on a baking sheet and toasted them in the oven. I rubbed each slice of bread with a garlic half and brushed with olive oil.

Garlic toasts

To finish off the stew, I cooked the red snapper fillets. I salt and peppered the fillets and cut them into bite sized pieces. I melted butter in a large skillet, placed the fillet pieces skin-side sown, and cooked for only a minute.

Cooking snapper fillet

I added the snapper pieces to the stew and brought the stew to a simmer.

Adding snapper to stew

As the stew simmered, I sliced the tomato into rounds. I placed the tomato and garlic toasts into bowls. Finally, I ladled the stew into the bowls and garnished it with the reserved fennel fronds.

Grand Red Snapper Stew

I thought this dish was delicious. The fish held up nicely in contrast to the flavors of the root vegetables. I really enjoyed the licorice flavor of the fennel, it balanced well with the mild leek flavor and provided a textural contrast to the carrots and celery. Everything was seasoned to perfection. The sweet acidity of the tomatoes was great as well. And I think every great soup/stew needs a piece of bread to sop up all the flavors at the end. I could definitely see myself recreating the stew, but perhaps with the different piece of fish. Furthermore, it looked soo beautiful in the bowl.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment