Thursday, May 17, 2012

Lemon-Lime Meringue Pie

Recipe: Lemon-Lime Meringue Pie
Page: 267
Date Cooked: May 9, 2012

Lemon-lime flavored desserts are some of my favorite. I love the tartness of the citrus paired with something sweet. It's refreshing and hits that sweet tooth. Accordingly, I was excited to try this recipe out and of course review the pastry crust I made for this pie.

Ingredients: My Pastry Crust, limes, lemons, eggs, unsalted butter, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and confectioners' sugar

I rolled out the pastry crust dough, fit it to my pie pan, and put it in the refrigerator.

Fitting pastry crust

In the meantime, I juiced the lemons and limes and grated the zest from the lemons. I also separated the eggs, placing the yolks in a small bowl and the whites in a large bowl.

Right: Juiced lemons and limes + grated lemon zest
Left: Separated eggs

I combined butter, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan and cooked over low while whisking together. I added the yolks to the pan, letting the yolks cook and constantly whisking. I slowly added the citrus juices to the pan. Finally, I added the grated lemon zest and cooked the mixture until thickened. I transferred the filling to a buttered bowl and covered it with plastic wrap.

Making lemon-lime curd

I took the pie shell out of the fridge and pricked it all over with a fork. I lined it with foil and filled it with rice. I baked the pie shell for several minutes. I then removed the foil and rice and baked until the crust was a golden brown. I set the crust aside to cool.

Baking pie shell

With an electric mixer, I beat the egg whites with salt until fluffy. I then added 2 tablespoons of sugar at a time and continued to beat until stiff peaks formed. I filled the cooled pie shell with the lemon-lime curd and topped the meringue over the filling.

Right: Lemon-lime curd in pie shell
Left: Pie topped with meringue

I put the pie under the broiler and watched it carefully. The moment I say peaks turn golden brown, I turned the pie accordingly. Once the meringue was evenly browned, I removed it from the oven and let it cool. Finally, I dusted the pie with confectioner's sugar.

Lemon-Lime Meringue Pie

I thought this pie was delicious! I absolutely loved the tartness of the lemon-lime curd. And the meringue was amazingly fluffy and light. The pastry crust, which I can now review, was delicious as well and really held up to the flavors of the lemon-lime curd. Overall, I truly enjoyed this dessert and I think it may show up on my kitchen counter again!

Enjoy!

And just for extra viewing pleasure, here is what is looked once you cut into it:

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to read your experience with this recipe, since I thought it was really messed up! For the curd, it didn't say what the sugar was supposed to do after 2 minutes-mine just got grainy and lumpy and then when I added the egg yolks and cooked some more it still was lumpy. I gave up on it at that point. Another recipe I reverted to used water with the sugar and cornstarch which worked fine. Where did I go wrong??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh.... I'm not really sure. I think I was actually worried that my curd mixture wasn't thick enough. But after I let it cool and set it wasn't a problem. I can definitely see though how water would help ease the lumpiness problem.

      I'm glad I could hear about your experience!

      Delete