Monday, May 28, 2012

Hot Oysters with Black Pepper Butter

Recipe: Hot Oysters with Black Pepper Butter
Page: 41
Date Cooked: May 22, 2012

I feel like I have to quote Jonathan Waxman's first line for this recipe: "This recipe is so easy you'll suspect there must be a hitch - there isn't." And well... that is 100% true. I used two different kinds of oysters in this recipe - Hama Hama oysters from Hood Canal and Fanny Bays from Puget Sound. And to test the oysters, I made sure to eat one raw before purchasing them and they were delicious. 

Oysters, unsalted butter, and black pepper

I cleaned the oysters. I then melted butter in a small saucepan, cooked it until golden brown, and stirred in the cracked pepper. I placed the oysters on the grill and cooked until they just popped open.

Right: Black pepper butter
Left: Oysters on the grill

I pulled the top off the oysters and loosened them up a bit. Note: JW mentions stabilizing the oysters on a bed of rock salt, I omitted this step. However, that step was purely for presentation and these oysters didn't last very long on the plate!

Hot oysters with top shell off

Finally, I topped the oysters with a spoon of the black pepper butter and served immediately.

Hot Oysters with Black Pepper Butter

Like I mentioned there really is no work to this recipe and it tasted delicious. There really isn't much to say about this recipe. If you ask me, it was simply different from raw oysters. A fun item to make if you are already barbeque-ing. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment