Thursday, April 5, 2012

Shitake Mushroom Spring Rolls

Recipe: Shitake Mushroom Spring Rolls
Page: 20
Date Cooked: March 29, 2012

I have to comment on the intro to this recipe...it is super random. He first talks about getting some Silverado trees and then goes into how he catered for the vineyard owners. Regardless, I was having a party and needed a vegetarian appetizer and figured this would be a good option to pull out.

Ingredients: Leek, carrots, onion, jalapeno chile, garlic, shitake mushrooms, olive oil, sesame oil, salt, pepper, lime, shredded napa cabbage, bean sprouts, soy sauce, ginger, and wonton wrappers

So coming off the last recipe, I proclaimed myself the "Julienne Master." Luckily for me, I got to use those skills again. I julienned the leek, carrots, onion, chile, and mushrooms. I also sliced the garlic into slivers.

(1) Leeks (2) Carrots (3) Onions (4) Chile (5) Garlic (6) Shitake mushrooms

In a Dutch oven, I heated the olive oil and sesame oil. I added the leek, carrots, onion, and garlic. I seasoned it with salt and pepper and let it cook for just a few minutes. I then added the mushrooms, chile, and some water to the pot and cooked till the water evaporated.

Cooking the vegetable filling

Finally, I added the cabbage, bean sprouts, and lime juice. I removed the pot from the heat, covered it, and let steam for a few minutes. I then removed the cover and let it cool.

Shitake mushroom filling

It was on to assembling the spring rolls. I placed a wonton wrapper on a plate, with one of the points towards me. I moistened the edges of the wrapper with some water and placed some filling in the middle. I simply, folded the top corner of the filling to create a triangle. I repeated, until I used all the wrappers.

Formed the spring rolls

Once I made all the "spring rolls," I topped each of them with some olive oil and into the oven they went.

Shitake Mushroom Spring Rolls

First off, these clearly are not "spring rolls." They are wontons. I kept wanting to roll them into spring roll form but also wanted to follow the directions as laid out - the directions won. As for the appetizer, they were good. They tasted totally fine. However, I actually think the flavors of the filling were lost by preparing it this way. I had lots of leftover filling and the filling had tons of flavor! I'm not sure if I would make the spring rolls again, but I would definitely think about using the filling flavor combination again.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment