Saturday, June 9, 2012

Linguine with Soft-Shell Crabs

Recipe: Linguine with Soft-Shell Crabs
Page: 129
Date Cooked: June 2, 2012

If you weren't sure whether or not summer was here, the presence of soft-shell crabs in the grocery store and on every seasonal menu should be your cue. Moreover, the addition of corn, tomatoes, and basil in this recipe really lends itself to the season. This recipe is the last soft-shell crab recipe and the last pasta recipe I had left in this cookbook.

Ingredients: Soft-shell crabs, red onions, corn, tomatoes, unsalted butter, olive oil, pepper, salt, dried linguine, and basil

I put a pot of salted water to boil, for the pasta. I sliced the onions, diced the tomatoes, and cut the kernels off the corncobs.

(1) Sliced onions (2) Diced tomatoes (3) Corn kernels

In a large skillet, I heated butter and olive oil. I added the onions until they softened and then added the corn and tomatoes. Once the veggies heated through, I seasoned them with salt and pepper. Also, I cooked the linguine (by the way, I used spinach linguine) according to package directions and chopped the basil.

Left: Beginning to cook onion-corn-tomato mixture
Right: Chopped basil

In another pan, I heated up olive oil. I pat the crabs dry, placed them in the pan (shell side down), and covered the pan. Once the crabs achieved a golden color, I flipped them, covered the pan, and let them cook for a few minutes longer.

Cooking soft-shell crabs

I drained the pasta and added it to the skillet with the onion-corn-tomato mixture. I tossed the pasta with basil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I put the pasta on the plates and served it alongside the soft-shell crabs.

Linguine with Soft-Shell Crabs

This dish was light and delicious. It was really the perfect hot summer night meal. I think this dish speaks to the seasonality of the ingredients - summer corn, tomatoes, and soft-shell crabs. I loved the way it tasted and of course love the colors on the plate. Little fuss with a great reward.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment