Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Crab Cakes with Red Cabbage Slaw

Recipe: Crab Cakes with Red Cabbage Slaw
Page: 236
Date Cooked: June 11, 2012

So I actually happen to be living in Maryland for the summer and heck what better place to get crab than from the Chesapeake Bay area. So with Maryland crab in tow, I decided to venture on to this recipe...

Ingredients: Lemon, peanut oil, olive oil, egg yolks, jalapeno chile, lump crabmeat, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, onion, corn, red cabbage, parsley, and butter

I began by getting the mayonnaise together. Like I said, I'm living in Maryland this summer and am not in my usual kitchen. Which also means, no hand blender (which I had been using to make mayo). So I was a little worried about putting it together. I juiced the lemon and whisked it together with the egg yolks. I poured the peanut oil and olive oil into a measuring cup. While whisking, I slowly poured in the oil and continued to do so until the mayo became stiff. To my pleasant surprise, the mayo came together really well and I even got an upper body work out.

Mayo making

I cut, stemmed, and seeded the jalapeno pepper. Half of the chile was cut into a small dice and the other half into julienne strips. Also, I picked over the crabmeat for any shells and cartilage.

Left: Julienned jalapeno
Right: Diced jalapeno

I combined the bread crumbs, the diced chile, half the mayo, and the crabmeat. I seasoned the mixture with salt and pepper as well. I then formed the mixture into 6 crab cakes.

Forming the crab cakes

In a shallow bowl, I whisked egg yolks with some water and spread bread crumbs onto a plate. I dipped the crab cakes in the egg yolk mixture and then coated them in the bread crumbs. I placed all the crab cakes on a lined tray and put them in the fridge to firm up.

Pre-cooked crab cakes

In the meantime, I thinly sliced the onion and cut the kernels off the corn cobs. I julienned the red cabbage and juiced the lemon.

(1) Sliced onion (2) Corn kernels (3) Julienned red cabbage

I mixed the cabbage, chopped parsley, julienned pepper, and some mayonnaise in a bowl. I then added lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil. The mixture was tossed well and set aside. I sauteed the onion and corn together until tender and added them to the cabbage slaw.

Putting the cabbage slaw together

Finally, I heated some butter and olive oil in a pan and fried the crab cakes.

Frying crab cakes

I placed the slaw on plates, topped it with the crab cakes, and served it all with some of the remaining mayonnaise.

Crab Cakes with Red Cabbage Slaw

Another perfect summer dish. I really liked the slaw. The crunch of the cabbage was a nice textural contrast to all the other components. And I believe I've said this recently, but corn in the summer is always so good. The crab cakes were also incredibly light, considering they were fried. Perfect texture, great flavor, and I'm partial to the spice so I enjoyed the jalapeno in the crab cakes. Overall, I would make it again.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment